Top - Jerry
Middle - Jonny
Below - Jean
This page -
Music Stuff ...
... I play a few instruments - guitar (electric,
Irish tenor banjo, 5-string banjo, mandolin, lap-steel, Irish bouzouki
(and sometimes bass). I play mainly in a traditional/folky/
rock-ceilidh band - Five
Minutes To Midnight
Just for fun, here's a few tracks of folk, rock and other stuff I play -
Cosmic Two-Step (2017), and ...
Waltzer Ride (2015)
also Wild Mouse (2013)
The Foss Way
Way - for non-UK readers - is a characteristically straight Roman road
extending from Lincoln to the church at Axmouth, Devon, passing
through Warwickshire. It is often spelt "Fosse
Way". The road is preserved as an A-class road for much of its length,
and its original route is clearly visible from road-maps of England.
There's more detail about the Foss Way at
Rural Roads co uk
... and many more, including (of course)
P.S. - please don't examine the code of these pages for good practice of web-coding. It's a mess, outdated code, and needs updating, when I get round to it.
Jeremy Foss CEng, MIET
- Senior Lecturer,
research and consultant in Broadcast Engineering, Communications,
Digital Media Technology, Wireless LANs; lecturing (to undergraduate
and postgraduate level) in the DMT Lab, School
Of Digital Media Technology,
Also a visiting lecturer (in Broadcast, Telecommunications and Computer Networks) at a number of institutions
consultancy and research activities and interestes includes interactive and
personalised TV; media brokerage; applications of virtual
environments and worlds (in media, healthcare, environment,
Academic and Lecturing
/ telecommunications networks, systems architectures and solutions;
Media distribution networks, broadband / triple play (Multiplay), xDSL,
Cable TV, IPTV, Satellite TV, video on demand, VoIP
- Current research includes interactive and personalised TV and media brokerage involving object based video, hybrid style distribution
- Signal processing, encoding, compression
infrastructures applied to commercial media, community and local
authority services, educational services, health, construction and
- Automated enterprises; service and content brokerage; value models
- Workflow, metadata, rights and content management
- Regulatory issues
- Virtual worlds (and convergence with networked media)
- Subject leader in Multimedia and Broadcast in the School of Digital Media Technology, Birmingham City University
- Designed the MSc Programme in Broadcast Engineering (delivered in conjunction with the BBC Academy)
in Media Technologies, specifically networked media, signal compression
and transmission, network architectures and solutions, media
years' experience in the telecommunications industry
years' experience in university lecturing and research
and development in intelligent networks, data communications protocols,
interactive services, media distribution, broadband access and services
development, defense communications contracts, network architectures
- Various collaborative
projects between industry and universities for UK government funding
and also for European framework funding. Research projects included
industry/academic collaborative projects on networked virtual reality
applications, intelligent agent-based e-commerce markets and adaptive
services, information services and infrastructures.
papers and spoken at a number of highest level international
conferences and events and instrumental in a wide range of
international collaborative work programs.
Some Recent Papers and Presentations
publications and presentations is
- Improving On-line Genre-based Viewer Profiling. Veloso B, University of Vigo, Spain; INESC TEC, Portugal; Malheiro B, ISEP/Polytechnic of Porto, Portugal, INESC TEC, Portugal; Burguillo J B, University of Vigo, Spain; Foss J, Birmingham City University, United Kingdom. TVX2017 Workshop on In-Programme Personalisation for Broadcast (IPP4B). Hilversum, Netherlands 2017
- In-Programme Personalisation for Broadcast: IPP4B (Workshop Summary). Foss J, Birmingham City University. UK; Shirley B, University of Salford. UK; Malheiro B, ISEP/IPP - Polytechnic of Porto & INESC TEC, Portugal; Kepplinger K, Fraunhofer Institute for Digital Media Technology, Germany; Ulisses A, MOG Technologies, Portugal; Armstrong M, BBC R&D, London, UK. TVX2017 Workshop on In-Programme Personalisation for Broadcast (IPP4B). Hilversum, Netherlands 2017
- Object-Media: From Personalisation To A Seamless TV/VR Convergence. Jeremy Foss, Birmingham City University, UK; Alexandre Ulisses, MOG Technologies, Portugal; Nicolas Monnoyer, Big Bad Wolf, Belgium. IBC Futurzone presentation, Amsterdam 2016
- Product Placement Platform for Personalisaed Advertising
Bruno Veloso, Benedita Malheiro, Juan C. Burguillo, Jeremy Foss. NEM Summit, Lisbon 2016
Platform for Media Content Personalisation (B Malheiro, J D Foss, J C
Burguillo-Rial); MUSST: Workshop on Multi-User Services for Social TV,
EuroITV 2013, Como, Italy; June 2013
for a Comprehensive Evaluation Approach on QoE of Interactive and
Personalized TV; (J Liebetrau, S Kepplinger, A Cristea, J D Foss);1st
International Workshop on Interactive Content Consumption at EuroITV
2013, Como, Italy; June 2013
Some websites ...
websites that I
can recommend in the field of technology,
online media, broadcast and communications:
SMPTE - The Society of Moving Picture and Television Engineers
Science and Nature
Comms and computing news from cnet.com
"Networkng the telecom industry"
"News for nerds. Stuff that matters"
"The business of Multiscreen Television"
Paid Content UK
"Covering UK's digital media economy"
Media news from The Guardian
"Biting the hand that feeds IT"
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
The Internet Society
This is me, I'm afraid, 2016 at Barnacle, Warwickshire. Thanks for the photo, Paul.